Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Meet author Lakisha Spletzer

 
What do you love about writing? Hate about it?
 
What I love about writing is the creation of the story itself. I love to take time-tested themes and mix them up. Sometimes this is good, sometimes bad.
 
What I hate about writing is when I have an idea of what I want to do and my characters hijack the story and take it in another direction entirely. Just kidding. But seriously, I don't know if there is an aspect that I "hate" about writing. I think sometimes I dislike editing and revising because it is more time consuming to find mistakes than it is to write the story.
 

Do you have a guilty indulgence? Something you do just for you. Want to share?
 
Guilty indulgence...hmm...I have a sweet tooth and when I'm writing I indulge it...a lot. So I have a private stash of cookies, candy and other sugar rush-inducing treats.
 

If you could spend a secluded weekend somewhere, where would you go and why?
 
A weekend, alone, with no kids and no life's interruptions...wow, then I would love to go to a forest that had a large waterfall. Peace, tranquility and the ideal writing atmosphere all rolled into one.
 

Is there any character from one of your books who you would change places with?
 
That's tricky because I think they all have such intriguing and varied lives. If I had to choose one, it would probably have to be my character Shayleah. She does a lot of traveling, sees new people and she kicks butt too.
 
What authors do you enjoy reading? Who is on your bookcase/e-reader?
 
I have a huge list but on the short list I have Elissa Malcohn, K.L. Nappier, Andre Norton, Anne McCaffrey, Piers Anthony, Laurell K Hamilton, Mercedes Lackey, Richelle Mead, and Lili St. Crow.
 

Do you ever get up at 3 am just to write?
 
Get up? That's in the middle of my "day." I'm a night owl so I started writing and working on my stories around 10 pm after my kids in bed.

What's the most interesting thing you've ever done?
Ate Veggie Mite. It's an Australian spread, like peanut butter, but tastes a whole lot different.
 
Of all the steamy/non-steamy you've written, what one is your personal favorite?
 
I think my favorite scene is when Jewels takes on an invading army to save her man.

And which one is something you'd love to try? *grins*

I would love to do that, if I could find a man worth saving. *winks*
 
What is coming in 2010 from you?

2010 is a busy year for me. I have several projects planned, works-in-progress that I wish to complete. And, possibly get one more book besides "Jewels" published as well.
 
Here is what's on tap:
 
1) “Moonbeams and Moonlight” - I've been working on since 2004. It's a high fantasy story that I really want to finish. It's sitting at a little over 50,000 words and I haven't even reached the stopping point for the first book.
 
2) “Mine Dreamer” was started in November 2009 during NaNoWrimo and I'll probably have it done by April. It is set in the same universe as “Jewels” but deals with civilians.
 
3) My other story, “Sierra's Protection,” was started in September 2009 and will be finished some time during the summer. It's my first time using normal people as characters. So no superpowers or magical elements in this one.
 
Others that I have on my writing desk that I'm hoping to get some writing done on are my 2010 NaNoWrimo project (don't know what it is yet) and the first of a middle grade fantasy series (untitled at the moment).
 

Where can readers find you on the web?
I'm all over the place but my website http://www.kishazworld.com, and then you can find me on twitter @kishazworld, on facebook "kishazworld", and myspace "kishaz_world".
 
Sneak peek into Jewels:
She had to get a grip. She had to be strong during the Choosing.
::Do you always have to be?::
Jewels froze. She knew that voice! She glanced about for Dex.
::Little human, do not fear me. I came to apologize.::
::Apologize?:: Jewels was confused. What did he need to apologize for? She felt his amused chuckle tickle her mind and it stirred her heart.
::You are indeed very fascinating. Look behind you, little human.::
Jewels heard his steps. Dare she turn and stare into those emerald green eyes? Eyes that promised her things that were denied her. Why him, why now?
His scent teased her nose and the air whooshed from her lungs. She had to see. She did a slow turn and stilled. Today Dex wore something similar to a Scottish kilt. It did nothing to calm her racing thoughts. His muscles were defined and powerful. His fur begged to be stroked and rubbed against.
Oh,” Jewels whispered, embarrassed that she was ogling the Crown Prince of the Gatoan Empire. She couldn't seem to stop herself.
Dex's eyes glinted with mischief and other things. This female was different from any other. So fragile, yet he'd seen her soul and knew her purity. He was fixated on her.
Am I pleasing to you?” He surprised himself, and her, by asking. But it was true. Dex had to know.
Jewels gulped and managed a breathy, “Yes.”
Dex grinned and moved closer. “I want to touch your...skin. So different from fur.”
Yes,” Jewels agreed, her mouth dry. She wanted to touch him, too, and bury her face into his fur.
Little human, you are unique.” He touched his paws to her face and felt a slight shock at the contact. He ignored it and enjoyed the smoothness of her skin.
His touch was electric, literally. She felt the jolt and then everything went quiet in her mind. An inner voice warned her that they needed to stop, but Jewels wasn't listening.
Dex.” She raised a hand to touch him and paused, uncertain if he would welcome it or not.
He smelled her growing arousal. He saw the hesitancy. Did not females here take what they wanted when the heat raged in them? Dex took her hand, felt her stiffen and waited for her to relax before placing it on his chest. He purred when her fingers tangled in his fur and she caressed him. Dex looked in her eyes, eyes that had changed color to the emerald green of the forests on Felinia, and saw that intense longing. That hungry need.
Dex was confused. She shouldn't be this desperate if her bond-mate was taking care of her. He frowned and Jewels flinched. She dropped her hand and backed up, breaking the connection.
We shouldn't! I, I can't. Please forgive me!”
Wait, little human!” Dex called, but she'd run away. Frustrated, he glared at his paw as if it could provide some insights.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment