Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Talking with Janice Seagraves


Hi, my name is Janice Seagraves. My first book, Windswept Shores, just came out in June. Because cooking is an important part of life for my couple as they struggle to survive on their little island, I thought it would be fun to post a recipe.
So here it is:
How to make curry, Windswept Shore style
*1 pound of cubed pork
*8 tea spoons curry powder
*4 garlic cloves
*1 pound carrots
*1 pound potatoes
*cup and half of white rice
Cook rice in two cups of water.
In separate pot, cook carrots and potatoes until tender then drain and set aside.
Made curry gravy with four cups fresh or bottled water, then add cook potatoes and carrots.
Stir and let simmer until the gravy is golden brown and the veggies are slightly smooshy.
When curry is done, take a bowl half fill it with rice then top off with curry and veggies.
This is my daughter’s recipe, and I’ve made it myself. Yummy.
Enjoy.
                      
Blurb: The sole survivor of a plane crash, Megan is alone on a deserted island in the Bahamas until she finds a nearly-drowned man washed up on shore. Another survivor, this time from a boat wreck. With only meager survival skills between them, will they survive and can they find love?
Windswept Shores’ curry excerpt (Seth had just killed a wild pig on the island): Megan put away the meat Seth had already cut. At least we’ll eat well. She took out the curry powder, then hunted through the can goods until she found garlic cloves in a jar, canned carrots, a few potatoes, and white rice. At least I can make a good meal tonight.
       The sow wasn’t big. Seth quickly cut the meat up while Megan stored it away. A bit later, Seth came back into the cabin. “Megz, I’m burning the bones in your old campfire, I reckon I should dig you a pit barbie.” Seth stopped to sniff the air. “Mmm, what smells so flaming good?”
“I’m making pork curry and rice.” She grinned at his surprised expression. “I told you I knew how to make curry.”
“Blimey, I thought you were yanking me chain.”
She set a fist on her hip. “Now, why would I do that?”
“Don’t rightly know, luv, but it happens from time to time.”
“Not by me, it hasn’t.” She turned to stir the curry. “I always tell the truth.”
“I reckon I have yer word on that.” He walked up behind her and took a sniff of the food bubbling on the small stove.
“What do you mean?”
“G’darn, Megz, you haven’t a shred of your own with you, so how am I to know different?”
“What about your stories?” She turned around in that tight space to glare up at him. “I haven’t seen anything of yours on this entire boat.” She gestured with the spoon. “The only things I’ve seen belonged to Bill.”
“Orright.” He went back into the small bedroom while she tended the food. She heard him open and closing drawers.
Megan kept stirring the curry to keep it from scorching. The rice was already turned off and set to the side with a tightly fitted lid.
Seth strolled back out with a photo album which he set down on the small dining table. Megan turned off the stove and set the pot on a folded tea towel to cool. She walked over, wiping her hands on another one she used as an apron.
“Megz, here’s the photos that’ll say what’s what.” He opened the album.
***break, so I don’t reveal too much of the story***
He picked up his fork, getting plenty of pork meat and rice, and took a bite. “Mmm.” He grinned around his mouthful as he quickly chewed.
Megan finally smiled back. “I’m glad you like it.”

Find Windswept Shores at:

No comments:

Post a Comment