Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Mike Tyson's Face Tattoo: From Trashy To Classy?

The first time I saw the tribal tattoo inked prominently down the side of Mike Tyson's menacing countenance, I thought the following: "that guy has lost his damn mind". I was not alone in my thoughts, I'm quite sure, as many had a similar reaction but chalked it up to Mike being Mike. I mean, by that point, he had bitten off ears, been to prison, and proved himself to be an otherwise disturbed individual so the element of surprise was gone.

However, who's laughing now?

It would appear that the tattoo is now raising the ire of the artist who placed it there thanks to a movie poster for the upcoming sequel to the movie "The Hangover". In said poster, one of the starring characters, Ed Helms, sports a similar version of the famed tribal design on his face (although given the fact that it's obviously part of the plot for "The Hangover II", I can't see that being a very good thing, but whatever).

According to the tattoo artist, named S. Victor Whitmill, he is the owner of that particular design and should be compensated accordingly. Call me crazy, but, I didn't realize that the ink industry was one that copyrighted designs—how long has this been going on? And, to be frank, if that tattoo were on any face but Mike Tyson's, would this guy give a flip? I mean, seriously, it still evokes a head-scratch when I see it, but he's had it for so long now that it's almost invisible.

That said, if Joe Blow were walking down the street with it and inspired Willy Nilly to do something similar, would Willy Nilly's tattoo artist be forced to call Joe Blow's for permission? I'm thinking that would not be the case because, if it were, the guy who first started placing tribal tattoos on biceps would be rolling in dough right about now. 

Either way, I hope see this lawsuit going very far, but who knows? As for any average Joe looking to duplicate Tyson's legendary tat, I only have one piece advice: think twice, that tattoo doesn't suit everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment