Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Breathless Press Author Carrie Pulkinen

*A Note from me: Please forgive me for missing this yesterday. I totally forgot to add this to the list of BP Authors on the 18th. So this is a day late unfortunately. I hope oyu enjoy Carrie's Interview and her lovely excerpt.*



Why don't you start with telling us a little about yourself? What genre do you write in and why?

I write paranormal romance books. Why paranormal? My dad got me into watching monster movies when I was young: Dracula, werewolves, etc. My childhood home was on Cemetery Road… and my closest neighbors were dead. I literally grew up next door to a cemetery. Needless to say, I’ve always been fascinated by the paranormal.

What comes first for you when you sit down to write a book? Plot or Characters?

It’s a combination of the two. I usually come up with a situation that I play out over and over in my head. The more I think about it, the more developed the characters become. I write that scene out, and then work the rest of the book around it.

Do you "cast" your characters using pictures or actors to help inspire you when you're writing?

No. I prefer to picture them in my mind. Once I put a real face to them, it feels like they aren’t my characters anymore. In my mind, I can make them look and act however I want.

How long does it take you to finish a book from start to finish?

I can write a full-length first draft in about six weeks. Of course, it takes a lot longer to polish it up and make it really good. But when I get a story in my mind, I HAVE to get it out. Sometimes I’ll stay up all night writing.

Tell us a bit about your latest book, and what inspired you to write such a story.

My book is a 9,000 word short story titled Sweet Release. I just had an idea about a demon EMT that saved people’s lives rather than taking them. The story kinda poured out of me from there.

How much does reader reaction mean to you as an author? Do you read your own reviews?

I do read my own reviews. I enjoy writing so much; and I want readers to enjoy reading it too.

What are you working on now? Anything you want to tell us about?

I’m currently working on a ghost story and a story about guardian angels.

What books are currently on your nightstand/bedside? Anything coming you are dying to read?

I’ve got several Lara Adrian books by my bed, but I’m reading Eat, Pray, Love right now.

If someone hasn't read any of your work, what book would you recommend that they start with and why?

I’d have to say Sweet Release because it’s my first published work.

If you could have been the servant to any famous person in history, who would that be and why?

That’s a tough one. Can I get back to you on that? Actually, I don’t think I’d want to be anyone’s servant.

What do you see for the future of publishing and e-books?

I think as more and more people get used to the technology, ebooks will become more popular. Especially when the current generation of teens and preteens become adults.

Which of your characters do you love/hate/fear/pity the most and why?

I love Andre from Sweet Release because he is able to overcome the evil that’s inside him and save lives rather than killing people.

Do you get along with your muse? What do you do to placate her/it/him when she/he/it refuses to inspire you?

My muse and I get along very well. She’s usually there whenever I call on her, though sometimes she shows up at the most inopportune times (like when I’m driving). I’ve had to pull over on my way home from work to write down everything she was yelling at me. And she does YELL.


Where can readers find you on the ‘net for more information on you, your books and other fun stuff?




 Sneak Peek Excerpt of SWEET RELEASE
Available at Breathless Press

The day Miranda Billings dies isn't the worst day of her life—but it's close. Miranda dreams of adventure and escaping her boring existence, but death might be too much of an escape. With the help of Andre the demon slayer, she discovers the excitement she craves. If only he’d let her share his quest as well as his bed.

When Andre, the half-demon EMT, finds the woman he loves crushed by a bus, he reawakens her soul with his magic and his blood. Now, Andre must decide if he’s willing to let her join him in his perilous quest to slay demons and save humans. He almost lost her once. Is he willing to risk losing her forever?
 
Excerpt:
Miranda awoke in an unfamiliar room. Black satin sheets covered the king sized bed, and matching curtains were drawn across a massive window on one wall. It was dark as midnight, but she could see just fine. Where the hell was she?
Her mind, still groggy with sleep, couldn't focus. Was it a dream? Had the entire night been a figment of her imagination? She inhaled deeply, and her senses tingled with the familiar scent of cinnamon and musk. She rose onto her hands to find a man with pair of sparkling emerald eyes watching her in the darkness.
"Andre?"
"Miranda. Thank God you're awake." Faster than she could blink, he was on the bed beside her. He trailed his fingers down her cheek, leaving behind a burning path of heat on her skin.
Every molecule in her body hummed with his touch. Her passion flared to life as he stroked his fingers through her hair. If this was a dream, she might as well take advantage of it. She placed her hand behind his neck and pulled him to her. His velvet lips took hers willingly, parting for her tongue to slip inside. He tasted like cinnamon, and she wanted to drink in everything he had to offer.
He trailed his fingers up her arms and cupped her face in his hands. He touched her gently, as if he was afraid he might break her. And that just wouldn't do. She swung her leg across him and straddled his lap. Her heart raced as she nipped his neck and slipped her hands beneath his shirt. His cock hardened between her legs, and she ground against him. This was going to be fun.
He moaned. "Oh, Miranda."
"I want you, Andre. I've wanted you since the day I met you." In one swift movement, she ripped his shirt over his head, and he gasped. Her gazed trailed up and down his body as she memorized each cut of his muscular chest. He was sculpted like a god, with the face of an angel. She licked her lips.
He put his hands on her shoulders and gazed into her eyes. "Stop. We can't do this now."
"Why not? It's my dream. I'll do what I want." She slid back and popped the button on his jeans. Adrenaline coursed through her veins. She'd undressed him with her eyes a thousand times, and he was more beautiful than she imagined.
His eyes were liquid. A molten emerald, piercing gaze. "Miranda. This isn't a dream."
"I don't care."

No comments:

Post a Comment