Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Guest Author Day with Brynna Curry

Wait for the Wind
Elemental Magic book 3
Brynna Curry
Lyrical Press
Genre: Romance/Paranormal
Digital ISBN: 978-1-61650-224-9
Length: Novella
Digital Publication Date: January 17, 2011
Cover art by Renee Rocco
Formats: .epub, .lit, .pdf, .prc (Kindle and Mobi) and pc and raw .html



Ryan and Kate must reunite to break the second of a three- part thousand-year-old spell.

Kate O'Connell grew up loved by the Corrigan family, all the while suffering from the inescapable reality of her own alcoholic father. At a young age she gave her heart and innocence to Ryan Corrigan. For once happiness seemed within her reach, until in one horror-filled night, the monster she called 'Daddy' changed everything.

Too many misunderstandings forced Kate and Ryan apart, but now Kate's come home to open her clinic and raise her daughter, Allaina, closer to his family. Will she be able to open Ryan's heart to his magic?

Ryan is glad to be back on Irish soil, but the reason he left still haunts him. As he tries to build a new life and redeem his past, can he forgive Kate and reclaim his healing gift in time to save his sister and her twins? 

Content warning: Steamy love scenes, adult language
 
Excerpt:
Kate sat at the cramped desk, her face buried in her hands. Oh, she wanted to cry. First Ryan, then all the raw memories flooding back to her. If she could just have a moment to herself. A little ball of light in the shape of a heart floated in front of her line of sight. Kate sighed. Such a sweet--if odd--way Allie had of letting her know she was home without interrupting her work. Life was calling, and the heartache would have to wait.

Kate placed Mr. O’Malley’s chart in the holder on her desk. She’d schedule him with an oncologist first thing tomorrow, though she knew he wouldn’t go. Flipping off the bright overhead light, she pulled the office door to and locked it, always mindful of the medications she kept in the locked cabinet. Allie wouldn’t ever touch them, but she was careful nonetheless.

Kate walked to the end of the hall past the exam rooms and opened the door to their little apartment space. Allie sat at the table with her books, pencils and paper. Kate smoothed her daughter’s dark silky hair. Skye’s hair fell just like that, straight as rain. Allie must have inherited the Corrigan side of the gene pool there, and her eyes were like Ryan’s. How many times had she looked into her daughter’s eyes and found Allie’s father in them? Countless.

“How was your day at school?”

“Okay, I guess. How was your day at work?”

“Okay, I guess. A lot sad. So, what happened in school today?”

“There’s this stupid girl in my class who just won’t quit picking on me.”

This she could handle. Bullies were an easy fix compared to failed romances. “And does this girl have a name?”

“Shannon.”

“Did you stand up to her?”

“Well--”Allie hid her face behind her hands. “I kind of set her hair on fire.”

“Allie!”

“Mom, chill. I put it out, but she’s so obsessed with her hair. I thought that would teach her a lesson. Plus it was cool to see the look on her face when I conjured up that fireball, and I was just so mad. It didn’t hurt her, just her attitude. “

“You have to control your temper, Allaina. What is that phrase Devin makes you write over and over again?”

An it harm none.”

“Yes. An it harm none. I don’t want to have to visit you in prison after you accidentally get angry and zap some brat with a fireball. I also don’t want to deprive you of doing something you were meant to do, but if you can’t control your magic, the lessons will stop. Understood? With great power--”

“Comes great responsibility. I know, Mom. I watched Spiderman. She told the whole class I was stupid, fat and so ugly even my father didn’t want me. Is that true? Did Dad leave you because you were pregnant with me? Is it my fault you’re alone?”

Kate hugged her. “No baby, no. Your dad loved you so much, but he walked away from me because he thought I’d had an abortion. He hurt so badly that he ignored all my attempts to contact him, so I never got to tell him that you existed. I choose to be alone, but I’m not lonely. I have you and our family. Don’t worry about that.”

“Well, I know I’m not fat, so I didn’t believe everything she said, but it still hurts. He’s back, isn’t he? I felt your energy shift and sort of ripple. Dad’s come home.”

“Yes, baby.”

Thanks for letting me visit with you today!
Brynna Curry also writing as Brianna Roarke

No comments:

Post a Comment